In January 2018 Abundance London installed the Chiswick Timeline, a large mural, nearby and this has transformed the adjoining railway arches. Now we have been awarded a (little) bit of S106 funding to sort out this area which we are (reluctantly and somewhat pretentiously) calling the ‘piazza’.
Prior to the start of the project
- Replace the unused double bike rack with 12 elegant stainless steel Sheffield racks.
- Replace the broken benches with curving timber benches that emphasise and enhance the piazza are. One will face both inwards and outwards allowing views of the surrounding common.
- Replace the broken bins with new bins.
- Restore the fountain to working order (Cllr Todd is responsible for this).
- Re-turf the adjoining grass area and remove the outline of the old municipal flower bed.
- Plant a magnificent flower bed of perennials, annuals and bulbs that will encourage bio-diversity while being low maintenance and beautiful.
- Power spray the paved area, replace broken slabs.
3 February 2019:
Today 20 volunteers, ranging in age from 13 to 89, dug out the shape of the new flower bed, skimming off the grass turves to create a flowing yin/yang shape.
Planting will take place later in the month.
30 January 2019:
The tulip bulbs have been eaten by squirrels :(
The rubbish behind the bike racks has been removed, and progress has begun towards digging out the flower bed., with the help of various volunteers. First to the spade, Hounslow Good Gym.
FM Conway denies causing any damage to the paving slabs and refuses to make good or clean the oily patch.
Ongoing design work with the benches; as the most expensive part of the project, we are nervous to get this right.
10 January 2019:
The new bike racks have now been installed. On the first day they already hold more bikes than the old double racks ever did. Now to clear the rubbish and weeds behind the racks. email if you have some time to help over the next weeks: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Initial drawings for custom-made benches ordered.
– Conways and Hounslow Highways asked to make good the oil patches and cracked slabs.
– Conways work cabins removed.
October 2018 :
– 5,500 bulbs potted up with huge help from the team at Chiswick House & Gardens, ready for overwintering. (500 Allium sphaerocephalon, 1,400 Crocus chrysanthus ‘Cream Beauty’, 900 Muscari armeniacum, 500 Narcissus ‘Jack Snipe’, 500 Narcissus ‘Geranium’, 500 Tulip ‘Albion Star’, 500 Tulip turkestanica)
S106 funding awarded